Westrum Development Company has withstood the challenges of the last 3 decades through the tenacity and experience of its leadership. Both singularly and collectively, our executive team drives the vision of the company forward through strategic investments and acquisitions, innovative sales, leasing and marketing campaigns, keen analysis of market data, and consistent involvement with government agencies and community groups.
Founder, Chairman, and CEO
John is a visionary business leader with over 30 years experience in real estate and land development; established Westrum Development Company (WDC) in 1987.
Westrum credits the longstanding business success to a disciplined work ethic, creation of simplified processes that are managed by great employees, and the team’s passion for delivering the best product at the best price point.
Beginning in 2011, Westrum began transitioning the Company from 100% home building to a multifamily portfolio focused on three targeted brands: Luxor Luxury Apartments (suburban multifamily product), ICON Luxury Apartments (urban multifamily product) and Arbour Square Senior Living (Independent Living/Personal Care/Memory Care communities). In 2017, Westrum launched the Westrum Property Management division to stay true to the vision and desired execution of these Suburban and Urban multifamily brands.
Considered an expert in the building industry, Westrum co-authored Philadelphia’s Ten-Year Property Tax Abatement: A Case Study, which assisted Philadelphia City Council decision to continue the use of the city’s 10 year tax abatement program. A continued commitment to responsible development, preservation of open space and affordable senior housing alternatives prompts Westrum to serve on numerous business advisory boards and government-appointed councils as follows:
Business Advisory Boards:
- Urban Land Institute – Member, Past Executive Committee, Shark Tank Panel – 2 Consecutive Years
- Home Builders Association of Bucks and Montgomery Counties – Member, Past President and Charitable Foundation Chair
- Building Industry Assoc. of Philadelphia – Board Member, Past President, Charitable Foundation Chair, Hall of Fame inductee
- Alkemy X – Board of Advisor member of Film Production company
Government Appointed Boards:
- Philadelphia Zoning Code Commission – Commission Member and Member of Steering Committee
- Pennsylvania State Planning Board – Board Member
- Montgomery County Revitalization Board – Board Member
- Philadelphia Inclusionary Housing Commission –Commission Member
- Philadelphia Green City Strategy Committee – Member
- Mayor Nutter Transition Team Committee – Member of Zoning and Excess Property Committees
Philanthropic and Civic involvement:
- Mural Arts Advisory Committee – Board Member, Past Chairperson
- Schuylkill River Development Corporation – Board Member
- Ambler Theater – Founder, Vice Chairman Emeritus. Member
- Prudential Fox Roach Charitable Foundation – Board Member
- Delaware Valley Habitat for Humanity – Former Vice Chairman, Past Board Member
- Germantown Academy – Former Board of Trustees Member
Westrum continues to drive the direction of his company through strategic acquisitions, keen analysis of market data, and consistent involvement with government agencies and community groups.
Named a 2016 CFO of the Year Honoree by the Philadelphia Business Journal
Partner, Chief Financial/Operating Officer
John has a proven 30 year track record in the areas of creative financial management, investor relationships, strategic operations, and risk mitigation. John has been with Westrum Development Company nearly 20 years.
- Creates and manages Financial, Tax and Management Controls
- Maintains and Generates new Investor and Lender Relationships
- Successfully develops and communicates Business Plans, Financial and
Operating Strategies to Lenders, Investors, Owners, and Boards
- Provides Critical Thinking Analysis to successfully implement New Business
Opportunities, both Operationally and Financially
- Experienced at Valuing and Acquiring Companies, from Initial Negotiations through Closing the Transaction
- Cultivates Cooperative Relationships with Lenders
- Raised more than $100 Million in equity to date
Jon Herzog, Chief Operating Officer
Brian McKenzie, Vice President, Homebuilding
John Tallman, Vice President, Approvals
Josh Allen, Vice President, Multifamily Assets
Lori Giaquinto, Controller